Sanskrit scholarship is offered by the government of India through Rashtriya Sansthan or Deemed university. Its aim is to promote and propagate Sanskrit language and literature in India. it is one of the important scholarships in India.
Sanskrit scholarship awards a monthly scholarship amount of Up to INR 1,500 to those students of class 9 to 12, Undergraduate and post-graduation classes and PhD who are studying Sanskrit as a main or optional subject. The number of qualified candidates awarded Sanskrit scholarships depends on the availability of funds.
Application for Sanskrit scholarship
It should be noted that Sanskrit scholarship is initiated with the objective of promoting Sanskrit language and literature among Indian students. The application for Sanskrit scholarship is usually announced in the month of July or August.
However in 2019, Sanskrit scholarship was active during the months of August to October. In 2019, closing date of Sanskrit scholarship was in the last of November.
Merit is the basis for selecting students for Sanskrit scholarship. The selected candidates become eligible to avail financial benefits under this scholarship scheme. Below is the complete details of the scholarship amount shared among the selected candidate of this merit scholarship:
– Students of class 9 and 10 receive INR 250 per month for a period of 10 months.
– Students of class 11 and 12 receive INR 300 per month for a period of 10 months.
– Shastri/Graduation/B.A/B.A. (Hons.) or an equivalent course of three years duration receive INR 400 per month for a period of 10 months.
– Acharya/M.A.in Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit or equivalent post graduation degree receive INR 500 per month for a duration of 10 months.
– Vidyavaridhi/PhD or equivalent receive INR 1,500 per month along with a contingency grant of INR 2,000 per annum for two years.
In order to qualify for Sanskrit scholarship, the candidate must fulfil certain eligibility conditions. One of the most important of these conditions or criteria is that the applicant must be a regular student pursuing Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit as their main or optional subject from any recognized Sanskrit Pathasshala/ Sanskrit Mahavidyalaya/ Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya in the traditional stream or school/College/ University in the modern stream.
Below are the highlighted complete details about the eligibility conditions of Sanskrit scholarship that a candidate must fulfill to avail scholarship benefits.
- The candidate must have passed their last exam.
- The candidate must have scored at least 60% marks overall and 60% in Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit if the candidate is a student of class 9 and 10 or Purva-Madhyama or equivalent studying Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit as a paper of at least 100 marks.
- The applicant or candidate must have opted for Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit in the current class.
- The applicants must have passed the exam for students of class 11 and 12 or Utter-Madhyama/Prakshastri or equivalent studying Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit as a paper of at least 100 marks.
- Students of class 11 and 12 or Utter-Madhyama/Prakshastri or equivalent studying Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit as a paper of at least 100 marks must have scored at least 60% marks overall and 60% in Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit.
- Students of class 11 and 12 or Utter-Madhyama/Prakshastri or equivalent studying Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit as a paper of at least 100 marks must have opted for Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit in the current class.
Besides the above mentioned eligibility criteria, Candidates belonging to reserved categories are eligible for marks relaxation.
55% is the minimum percentage of marks for OBC students, while 50% is the minimum percentage of marks for SC/ST and PH candidates.
Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan allows applicants or candidates to apply online for the Sanskrit scholarship through their official portal. Given below are the steps that are required to apply for Sanskrit scholarship
- Candidate must visit the Sanskrit scholarship home page (Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan) and click on “scheme” under which “scholarship scheme” is listed. The applicant need to click on it to visit the scholarship page.
- The applicant should click on “one-line application” mentioned as the second point. The applicant is taken to a new page where guidelines, and registration of institutes etc are given.
- find out more on the Sancrit scholarship scheme page
Key Document For Sanskrit Scholarship
There are some important documents that the candidates need to upload while filling their scholarship application form. They include:
- Relevant mark sheet.
- The first page of bank passbook (having details along with the candidate’s photograph) which must be in the name of the candidate.
- Candidate’s Aadhaar card.
- Caste/category certificate in case the candidate belongs to any reserved category.
India government in pursuance of the recommendations of the Sanskrit Commission (1956 – 1957), established the Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan on 15th October 1970. It is an autonomous organization for the purpose of implementing the policies and programs of the central government for the development, propagation and promotion of Sanskrit.